Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Blog # 3

Blog 3:  Identify and define (in your own words)  any the terms we have been developing for use in   language analysis.  The point here is not necessarily to be correct (this is not a test), rather it is to give me a chance to see what you are thinking/learning and supply language/direction if you want/need it.

Even after reading Swales's convoluted excerpt, I still feel I have a firm grasp on the language we have used in class. Although the word "discourse" can be a very confusing term, to me it it means a platform for communicating and debating topics of interest in efforts to further knowledge about the genre or topic. The only problem I have is in differentiating between discourse communities and speech communities. They seem to be very closely related, and to pose a difference between the two seems like splitting hairs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment